Mile Bluff has been serving area residents for more than 100 years.
1893 Dr. J.S. Hess, Sr. began caring for patients in Mauston.
1912 Mauston Hospital opened its doors. The downtown store building and residence
the doctor purchased and remodeled served the community for eleven years.
1923 The original Hess Memorial Hospital was built across the street from Mauston
Hospital, admitting all types of patients and expanding the services available.
1959 The City of Mauston purchased Hess Memorial Hospital, which became governed
by a board of directors.
1963 Hess Memorial Hospital, Inc. was formed and obtained the hospital from
the city. The need arose for a new hospital, as well as beds for the aging
population. A building was constructed and added to the existing hospital,
and the older portion of the complex was turned into a nursing home.
1980 A new hospital and nursing home were built at the current location on
1981 A group of physicians built Mile Bluff Clinic, adjacent to the hospital.
1991 Mile Bluff - Elroy Family Medical Center opened.
1992 Terrace Heights Retirement Community opened next to the medical center.
1995 Mile Bluff - Necedah Family Medical Center opened.
1996 A 54,000 square foot addition was built onto the hospital. The new space
doubled the size of the laboratory, relocated and created several more
examination rooms in the Emergency Department, and also allowed for an
Urgent Care Department to be added. The Rehabilitation Department also
had new space with plenty of room for equipment and the ability to serve
2001 An addition to Mile Bluff's surgery wing was completed. This new space
allowed Mile Bluff to treat more patients and to expand the types of surgical
services available locally.
2001 Mile Bluff - Crest View Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, and Great
Lakes CBRF opened.
2004 Mile Bluff - Delton Family Medical Center opened.
2004 Mile Bluff - New Lisbon Family Medical Center opened its door in a new facility.
2009 Hess Memorial Hospital was legally changed to Mile Bluff Medical Center, Inc.
2013 The medical center and Mile Bluff, LLP (which included clinics in Mauston
and New Lisbon) integrated into one organization, Mile Bluff Medical Center, Inc.
2016 Mile Bluff opened Wisconsin Dells Dialysis Center in the lower level of
its Delton Family Medical Center.
2016 Mile Bluff purchased Phillips HealthMart Pharmacy in downtown Mauston.
2018 Mile Bluff purchased Raabe's HealthMart Pharmacy in New Lisbon.
Over the last 125+ years, the name of the organization and the buildings
it has called home have changed, and the services that it provides have
evolved; however, one thing has remained the same: Mile Bluff Medical
Center is committed to serving patients with healthcare excellence yesterday,
today and always.