Hess Memorial Hospital Auxiliary
Medical & Educational Fundraising in Juneau County
The Hess Memorial Hospital Auxiliary was founded as a money-raising entity
in 1959 by Louise Hale (a retired nurse) and Elaine Nelson. The purpose
was to raise funds for various hospital improvements and to award college
scholarships to students pursuing a nursing degree. In 1960, the auxiliary
opened a thrift store. The women received donated items from community
members, and sold the clothing and household goods at a minimal cost.
During that time, they also raised money through bake sales, fruit and
candy sales, luncheons, card parties, and other forms of entertainment.
Supporting the Community for More than 50 Years
After a fire destroyed the original thrift store building, land was purchased
to build the thrift store at its current location, 222 Elm Street in Mauston.
Over the years, the store has thrived. By 2012, the auxiliary had donated
more than $1 million to Mile Bluff Medical Center, and had provided more
than $140,000 in college scholarships to high school graduates throughout
At its beginning, the auxiliary donated $94 for the medical center to purchase
12 bathrobes. On average, the group is now able to donate $15,000 to $20,000
each quarter. These funds have been used to purchase items such as a video
laryngoscope, mammography machine, a bone density scanning unit, and much
more. Mile Bluff Medical Center truly appreciates everything the hospital
auxiliary has done for the health of the community!
For more information about the store, click