There is no substitute for the lifesaving gift of blood. It is precious,
it is perishable, and the need for it is vital. Together, we can be a
beacon of hope. In this COVID-19 pandemic, you can impact the health of
your community and those in our state by donating blood.
Join your friends, family, co-workers and neighbors, and do your part to
help save lives by joining the Blood Center of Wisconsin for a blood drive
at Olson Middle School on Tuesday, April 21 from 9 am to 2 pm.
This drive has been relocated from Mile Bluff Medical Center to Olson Middle
School. This change was made to accommodate more donors and to provide
the space needed for social distancing.
The drive will be held in the middle school gymnasium. All donors must
use Door 13 to access the drive. This door is located on the side of school
that leads from the middle school playground to the football field. There
will be signs directing donors.
The Blood Center of Wisconsin is taking steps to keep donors safe during
COVID-19. These steps include:
- Taking donor temperatures at registration to ensure they are not elevated
prior to entering donation areas
- Asking donors to wash hands prior to screening
- Screening donors for to see if they are currently experiencing coughing
or shortness of breath
- Asking donors if they have recently traveled to high-risk countries as
defined by the CDC
- If any of the above is true, donors will be asked to self-defer
- Ensuring six feet of space between waiting chairs, donation chairs, and
- Sanitizing all equipment, beds and other surfaces between donors
In order to maintain social distancing and to accommodate other COVID-19
precautions, anyone looking to donate is
strongly encouraged to make an appointment by midnight the night before the drive. Doing this
allows the Blood Center of Wisconsin to know how many people are expected.
You can save up to three lives in your community by donating blood. The
Blood Center of Wisconsin is the sole provider of blood to the medical
center and the need for blood is critical across our state. All donors
will receive a coupon for up to 4 FREE outdoor water park passes to Mt.
Olympus in Wisconsin Dells.
Make a blood donation on Tuesday, April 21 at Olson Middle School in Mauston.
To reserve your spot, call the Blood Center of Wisconsin at 1-877-232-4376 or visit
www.bdw.edu and search for Mile Bluff in the mobile drives.
Requirements for being a blood donor:
- Be at least 17 years old (16-year-olds may donate with parental consent)
- Feel well on day of donation
- Be free of major cold and flu symptoms
- Not have had hepatitis after age 11 years
- Not have had any risk factors/behaviors associated with HIV/AIDS
Tips to remember the day you donate:
- Bring along a photo ID such as a driver’s license.
- Drink plenty of fluids prior to and following your donation.
- Avoid strenuous physical exercise until the day following your donation.